- Look at the key signature and time signature
- Look for sections that repeat
2. Find patterns
- Many phrases are often 4 bars
- Can you find phrases that repeat?
3. Listen to the song, if possible
- Read the music while you listen
4. Break the song into smaller parts(phrases)
- Notice, you have not even played your instrument yet
5. Practice each phrase slowly and carefully
- Striving towards perfect practice is good
- Any mistakes made in the beginning will only have to be corrected later
6. Memorize each phrase
- Use thoughtful, disciplined practice
- Ask your self, "Where is this phrase going?"
7. Put the phrases all together
- Do this one piece at a time
- Sometimes it is helpful to move from the end back toward the beginning
8. Practice the song all together
- Gradually increase the tempo
9. Pretend you are on stage and play your song
- Where did you make mistakes?
- Go back and work on these areas first
10. Perfect and play a real concert!