Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Hack a Nerf Dart Gun- Shoot Faster and Longer Distances

I inadvertently learned how to hack my kids' NERF N-Strike Nite Finder Dart Guns this morning.

Of course, they had already broken most of their darts the first day they received the guns. My wife had tried to help them out by gluing back together the rubber suction cup part to the Nerf shaft part. But the glue ended up clogging the inside of the gun shaft where the air is forced out to shoot the dart.

After I put my younger son's gun back together, it suddenly shot darts out much faster and for a longer distance. I exclaimed to them, "I must have taken the safety out!" Of course, my older son said he wanted his safety taken out also.

I took his gun apart and figured out what had made the difference: one spring. This spring allowed a little forked piece to recoil back and create an airtight chamber after shooting, causing the gun's spring loaded shaft to slow down. Removing this spring allowed for a much faster and longer shot.
Here's what you do:
  1. Take all the screws out of the gun. There are 14 on the side and one on the bottom where you can insert batteries. Note: A little piece at the top of the gun will probably pop out. You can insert it when you put the gun back together.
  2. Remove one inside screw in the middle of the gun holding the orange shaft in place.
  3. Pop the the right-hand side part of the orange shaft out part way.
  4. Remove the right-hand part of the shaft, as shown in the picture on the right.
  5. Open the shaft and remove "the spring", as pictured above.
  6. Piece gun back together. Remember to replace the screw inside the gun that holds the orange shaft.
  7. Be sure to insert the two yellow dart holders and the orange beveled gun tip before you screw the gun halves together. You may also have to hold the orange spring puller on the back of the gun in place. I found that the spring holding it in place wanted to pop out.
  8. Please email me with any questions or make a comment.
  9. Enjoy!
Get a nerf gun just like this:
--> NERF N-Strike Nite Finder Dart Guns

No comments: